Monday, March 28, 2011

Folk Tales

Good Morning Readers!

When I come to sit down and write my blog, I never know 'where' or 'how' to start... Usually by the time I've started writing what I'm inspired to write, my beginning paragraph has changed 3 or 4 times.
This morning is no different.

This weekend Shkodera had a Folk Festival up in the castle ruins. Local people dress up in traditional costumes and recreate moments in history through dance, song or poetry.

As a foreigner, you have no idea what's going on, but the expression of dance and song, really help to understand the culture in which we live.
The sound of the music can be quite raw to your ear at first - but there is something sad and somber that the music evokes in you as they dance or sing.

Albanian Traditional Costume

Picnicking unders the Castle ruins



When you live in a culture where there has been much poverty and still reeling from the effects of communism, it's so great when you catch a glimpse of its heritage and the joy in which the people embrace their traditions.
Even the young people were belting out the folk songs as if it was pop music!

Have a good week.


No comments:

Post a Comment